Birth Tourist: Can a foreign baby acquire a USA citizenship/passport?

Mudassir Ali
Feb 12, 2020 04:10 PM 0 Answers
Member Since Dec 2019
Subscribed Subscribe Not subscribe
Mudassir Ali
- Feb 12, 2020 04:10 PM

Yes. If you manage to get a visa and are allowed entry by the CBP, your child born in the USA would automatically gain U.S. citizenship, unless you’re a diplomat.

There is nothing that specifically prohibit people going to USA just to have babies, but there is nothing that specifically protects it as a right either.

Getting a U.S. visa is a privilege, not a right. As such, the consular officer has a wide latitude in denying / granting a visa. As far as I know there is no current policy prohibiting pregnant women from traveling to USA, but they can very easily deny the visa based on concerns about funding. They can legally refuse a visa to people that might require government assistance. Since you cannot be legally denied of emergency medical service in USA (child birth is considered an emergency), unless you have traveler’s insurance the gov’t will end up paying for you and your baby’s medical cost.

Reply on This
Replying as Submit
0 Subscribers
Submit Answer
Please login to submit answer.
0 Answers