What are the requirements for a divorced man to marry a Filipina?

Mudassir Ali
Feb 26, 2020 01:30 PM 0 Answers
Member Since Dec 2019
Subscribed Subscribe Not subscribe
Mudassir Ali
- Feb 26, 2020 01:30 PM

I did this. First we went to City Hall Davao to find out what to do. They won’t accept your divorce paper (a UK one isn’t even a certificate, just a letter), so you have to get an affirmation from your nation’s embassy (the British Embassy in Manila in my case) and, armed with that, also get a CENOMAR (Certificate of No Marriage, or a “singleness” certificate) and birth certificate from NSO for the lady.

Then it’s back to City Hall to fill in a form in quintuplicate – Davao City Hall doesn’t have a photocopier, so we got it copied over the road (probably owned by the boss of City Hall…). Then to the Cashier (not much, can’t remember, but something like P450). After this you will be told that some time after 12 days you can go and organise the wedding (this is a civil wedding). You go to the Court of Justices (where there is a dress code for some inexplicable reason) and find a judge to marry you. The judge will give you a date, and off you trot on the day, making sure you are dressed soberly (again, I don’t know why, probably to discourage any topless weddings they’ve seen in US magazines a couple of decades ago) – making sure not to be late. Our judge was a nice chap, had a good talk to us and then did the business. You can exchange rings if you like during the process, the judge is likely to be OK with that. There is usually a photographer on hand too, in our case he took photos and videos and charged around P500, which wasn’t bad, as one was framed. At the end they will give you a temporary marriage certificate, which goes to the NSO. Once they’ve cast it in stone, you can apply for a legit copy from NSO online. It’s all quite easy, though it does take a while to wade through the bureaucracy so loved by this country.

That’s about it, from what I remember from two years ago. It may make a difference if you are a national of some country that the Philippines is not keen on, so make a check on that at City Hall. Make sure your visa allows you to stay long enough to get married, after which you can go “balikbayan” which gives you a year’s visa providing you make an exit and entry once a year before it expires – you have to take your wife with you, so make it a holiday somewhere close! My wife uses it to go to Malaysia once a year, where we lived for 8 years and consider our “2nd home”.

Reply on This
Replying as Submit
0 Subscribers
Submit Answer
Please login to submit answer.
0 Answers