What is the history of Lyallpur?
A tiny town (Chenab Colony) founded only to act as an agricultural market/mandi has now grown into a giant size metropolitan city (Faisalabad), which enjoys third position in the country, as far as population and industrial growth is concerned. During the latter part of the 19th century the then Government of India initiated a great system of artificial irrigation through construction of canals. The name Lyallpur was given with a view to pay tribute to Sir James Lyall, Lt. Governor of Punjab, for his services rendered in colonization of the lower Chenab valley. The design of the town was prepared by Sir Ganga Ram. In 1896 Lyallpur Tehsil was established by carrying out area of Gujranwala, Jhang and Sahiwal and placed under the administrative control of District Jhang.
By 1902 the population of the town exceeded. Houses and shops had been constructed to cater to the ordinary needs of the population. In 1903 it was decided to establish an agricultural college. In 1904 the new district of Lyallpur was constituted, composed of the tehsils of Lyallpur, Samundri and Toba Tek Singh, with a sub-tehsil at Jaranwala which later became a full tehsil. The design of the town was prepared by Sir Ganga Ram.
By 1906, the district headquarters began to function in Lyallpur and all the bazaars and settlements within the bounds of a ring road were nearing completion. The city began to spread outside the circular road. The Town Committee was upgraded to a Municipal Committee in 1909 and the Deputy Commissioner was appointed as its first chairman. In 1916, the grain market saw its shops surging with customers. In the same year the civil hospital was expanded. With the advent of World War II, there was an increase in political awareness across the city. Revolutionary meetings were held, fiery speeches made, and slogans written on1977, the Government of Pakistan, changed the name of the city from Lyallpur to Faisalabad, in honor of King Faisal of Saudi Arabia who made several financial contributions to Pakistan. In 1982, Faisalabad (Old name LYALLPUR) got the status of division.