What is the scariest thing that has ever happened to you?

Mudassir Ali
Feb 14, 2020 05:03 AM 0 Answers
Member Since Dec 2019
Subscribed Subscribe Not subscribe
Mudassir Ali
- Feb 14, 2020 05:03 AM

I was 18 years old and just graduated high school 3 months prior. I was married. (I eloped my senior year of high school) We had rented a very small 1 bedroom house that was across the street from the bank where I worked as a teller. We hadn’t lived there very long, maybe a month or so. We were young and barely making ends meet so there were not a lot of decorations pictures etc.

I was always a very trusting person. I was raised in the country and in times where you could leave your windows open and your doors unlocked. I was always taught to see the good in people. I had come down with a cold and taken cold medicine one night and went to bed early. At this point, I had only been married for less than 6 months. I remember in my sleep feeling someone “messing with me”. In my half asleep cold medicine bogged down head, I started reacting and thinking it was my husband. Then I roused up and opened my eyes. It was around 2 am. I looked over at my husband kinda laughing and said what are you doing? Only he was sound asleep facing the other direction. Puzzled I looked forward. There at the foot of my bed, with the street light shining in my window, crouched a grey haired man. He was looking straight at me. It was then I noticed the weird smell. Alcohol and food mixed together. It registered something was VERY wrong. Out of natural reaction, I screamed. When I screamed my husband jumped up facing me. At almost the exact same moment, the man jumped up and ran out of the bedroom door. The bedroom door was located right beside the head of the bed on my husband’s side of the bed. Since he jumped up looking at me, he did not see the man run out.

He asked me what was wrong, but I was so scattered nothing coming out of my mouth made any sense. He kept saying it was okay and I just had a bad dream and everything was just fine. I can’t describe the panic I felt inside. I refused to lay back down. I got up from the bed and walked into the next room (living room) and my husband followed me. Once we entered the living room, it was all becoming reality. The front door to the house was propped open with a brick. The rocking chair we had was moved out of the way of the doorway to the bedroom, my assumption is he was making sure he had a clear shot of the house. Laid all over the floor was the contents of my purse. Only a few dollars was missing, my social security card, a change purse, and a photo. Seeing as how we were young and broke, we didn’t have a home phone. Cell phones were not a thing at this time. We were trying to get pants and shoes on to go call the cops when we heard a car door shut. I started screaming “Oh my GOD he is going to steal our car!!” My husband went to the door to see a female officer walking towards our house. I immediately starting rambling how there was a man, he was in my house, he messed with me, he touched me and I needed help. I know I looked like a crazy person who was babbling nonsense. The officer calmed me down and asked me to tell her what happened. I repeated myself. She asked if I knew what he looked like and if I could identify him. I said yes. To this day, that man’s face and hair haunt my thoughts. It is permanently in my brain. She then went on to explain that she was making rounds and found a man running across the road suspiciously. She stopped him and was taking him for public intoxication. When he got into the back seat, he was trying to stuff my change purse inside his pocket. She took it and reverse searched my social security number to find that I lived just a road over from where this man was picked up. Divine intervention. The man claimed I was a friend of his and he had left my house not long ago from “hanging out”.

My house was fingerprinted and pictures taken, diagrams drawn. They tested his hands and fingernails for my DNA. I had to go to court and testify. I found out I was pregnant just weeks later. I had constant nightmares and became very jumpy. The stress from everything threatened my baby so we agreed to accept a plea bargain. Aggravated sexual assault and battery among some other charges for breaking and entering and theft of property. I found out he was living in a camper that was parked in front of the bank where I worked. That month I was the teller assigned to drive through. I was facing his camper daily. I walked to and from work because it was just across the street and took more effort to drive. Plus we only had 1 car. They also found other items from my house inside his camper upon searching it. That confirmed he had been in my house before. He actually saw my husband in the bed next to me and walked around him to my side of the bed! He was on a mission. I finally got through court, he was sentenced and I tried to move on.

About 4–5 years later, I received a phone call from the police department a city over. There was a new law passed and every prisoner that was imprisoned for a sexual related offense had to submit their DNA. There as a hit. The same man who broke into my home had hit on a series of high profile rape cases in the next city over. They were brutal. No one ever saw him. Just one girl saw tattoos on his arms behind her. He would tie them up and used tape on their eyes. Shockingly, we all had similarities. He had a type. The girl that saw the tattoos had given a description and it was televised on the news. I guess he ran to the next town in hopes of running away from it. At the time they caught him at my house, had the tape and everything on him. It just didn’t make sense at the time why. Now all of the dots started to connect. He was a serial rapist. All of us were between 17–23. This man was almost 60. Then, all those years later, I realized, had I been home alone…had he broken in during my lunch break when I was alone..it would have been so much worse. I didn’t have to deal with some of the same horrible things the other girls did. But it still really messed me up. It caused my marriage problems because I didn’t feel protected. I have PTSD. But, I am a very lucky lady. God was really watching out for me and I am thankful it was not worse than it was.

By far the scariest thing that has ever happened to me. I’m sorry it was so long. Not something I tell a whole lot of people. I had a friend not believe me one time saying it was crazy sounding, until she saw the sentencing on the news. I was used as a witness for the other girls case showing the career history of the man and all of the similarities. He was sentenced and put away for the rest of his life.

Reply on This
Replying as Submit
0 Subscribers
Submit Answer
Please login to submit answer.
0 Answers